Literacy at Sholing Juniors
- To teach children how to become effective communicators using both verbal and written skills.
- To develop confidence in communication skills and to teach the skills necessary to achieve clarity in speech and writing.
- To encourage pupils to listen, read a write with careful thought taken over the purpose, audience and composition.
- To provide a rich and varied experience of the English language, including the history behind its development and modern use.
- To give the opportunity to appreciate literacy in its many forms, and be inspired by it to learn the skills necessary to imitate and innovate it, whatever the genre.
- To develop enthusiastic and reflective readers through challenging and inspiring texts.
- To develop confident and accurate readers.
- To develop the enjoyment of writing and be given the opportunity to write creatively.
- To encourage children’s ability to be thoughtful and purposeful in the planning, drafting and editing of their work.
- To ensure progress for all children is rapid.
In Writing our aims are to:
- To create an enjoyment and stamina for writing.
- To be exposed to a range of quality texts, authors and genres of writing.
- To create thoughtful writers who are able to edit and improve their writing independently and accurately.
- For children to be able to write for a range of purposes with confidence.
- For children to recognise and use grammatical features accurately.
- For children to be able to recognise the links between reading and writing.
In Reading our aims are to:
- develop a knowledge and appreciation of reading;
- read with fluency, intonation and regard to the punctuation
- have a chance to share their enjoyment of the text through discussion;
- have children independently choosing more challenging texts to read.
- use appropriate strategies when reading new or less familiar words
- gain an appreciation of how authors use words and images to achieve different effects.
- to use appropriate reading strategies and reference skills to find specific information.